Friday, November 19, 2010

Rubric AR #7

This week in my Technology for Educators class we were asked to create a rubric to score our digital storytelling presentation for our final project. A rubric is designed to be an authentic assessment aimed to present students with tasks that mirror the objectives and challenges typical of their instructional activities” (Gunter 2010).  I chose to create my rubric using iRubric. I must say that this was an extremely user friendly website that guides you through the rubric making process.
 Even though the rubric making process was easy, I did have trouble developing the assessment for my rubric. I think that I had a harder time developing the assessment of the rubric because I have not begun teaching and haven’t had a lot of practice creating them. Another reason why I feel that I had trouble creating the assessment is because I didn’t know how exactly I wanted to evaluate the presentation. I’m sure with practice it will make this process easier.
My rubric consisted of 4 different criteria excellent, good, fair, and poor. These criteria were divided into 5 categories. The students were evaluated on the overall presentation, contents, mechanics, and appearance. I feel as though I did a good job creating my rubric but I know that I need more practice creating a more detailed description for each category.
  All and all I enjoyed creating my rubric for this project. I must admit it really made me think and evaluate how I want to assess my future students. I look forward to using iRubric in the future to create my rubric.

2 comments:

  1. I think your rubric is perfect for your intended grade level. However, if you decide to teach a lower grade, like we had discussed in class the other day, you may need to simplify a bit. Also, in 11 years of teaching Kindergarten, I have never had to create a rubric on my own. The textbooks are generally pretty good at providing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha,

    For your first rubric I think you did a great job! Like you I had never created a rubric before so I also had a lot of trouble in the assessment process too. One suggestion I have for you rubric is to use more concrete numbers (for example, 1 to 2 grammar errors are evident), instead of using the word "some".

    I agree with you that using iRubric was simple when it came to the part of actually making the rubric. I have been teaching for 7 years and have never made my own rubric so the difficult part was having to think about what exactly I wanted to grade my students on. It helped being able to get some advice from fellow teachers. When you begin teaching never be afraid to ask for help, that's my best advice.

    Good Luck!
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete