Friday, November 12, 2010

Example Project AR #6

This week in my Fundamentals for Educators class we were asked to continue with our curriculum page by creating a sample digital storytelling project.  My project is based on a social studies lesson about the Native American culture and tribes. The students will get into groups of about 3-4 to complete this assignment. Each group was asked to pick a Native American tribe to research (i.e. Apache, Cherokee, Mayan). Some requirements for the assignment were to include 8-10 slides, 4 pictures, and 1 video.

 I used the Slideshare presentation tool to complete my sample presentation for my students. I used this tool because this is what I required my students to use. I felt that it would be a little easier for them to use Slideshare because it is similar to PowerPoint. But after thinking about the requirements for the project a little more, I decided that I am going to give my students the opportunity to complete this project using Slideshare or Prezi. Prezi is another presentation tool that can be used for digital storytelling. 
I have worked with both presentation tools throughout this semester and I must admit that I really enjoy both tools. For this assignment I decided to create my sample project using Slideshare. It was rather easy to complete this project but I did find that I had trouble adding a youtube video to my PowerPoint slide. It took time for me to figure out how to do this. Besides figuring out how to add the video to my presentation, everything else was simple and I had no trouble completing this assignment.  

In my sample presentation I chose to research the Apache Indian tribe. I included a little information about their customs and traditions. I also added pictures and videos to help add to the effectiveness of the presentation. Once I completed my PowerPoint I then uploaded it to the Slideshare tool. Through this tool the students are able to creatively present their research using music, video, and pictures. This is a tool that I plan on using in my future classroom.

Here is the link to my Slideshare presentation http://www.slideshare.net/sammie06/apache-5759589

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your sample project. i loved your pictures. I think adding pictures gives a little something extra. Your ideas were well laid out and age appropriate for the older elementary student. I think any 4-5th grade student would enjoy creating a project like this. I, like you, have really enjoyed playing around with these sites like slideshare and prezi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with Slideshare and was interested in seeing what you had done. Your project is similar to mine (social studies, 4th grade, create presentation). The idea of using Slideshare is good in that you can use any internet-connected computer to make the presentation, the computer doesn't have to have PowerPoint (although a PowerPoint presentation can be saved to run standalone). When I viewed your presentation, I noticed that the Youtube video didn't play and there was no hyperlink when I moused-over. I'm not sure how to accomplish that, but before you use it for real, you'll want to do some investigation. Wish I could just give you the answer, but I'd have to investigate, too!

    ReplyDelete